Saturday, December 3, 2011

Paper Beads

Probably the hardest part of writing a blog is just getting started.  So here it goes.

My name is Anne, and I love to make useful beautiful art out of things others throw away.   I have been making jewelry and mixed media collages for about 10 years.  Recently I have been creating jewelry from my handmade paper beads.  My beads are made from magazine pages,cereal boxes, brown wrapping paper and newspapers.  They are rolled, decorated, glazed and combined with other beads to create a fabulous piece of wearable art. And if you want, the menu from your favorite restaurant or a map of your city can be fashioned into a bracelet or a necklace.

Making paper beads dates back to the Victorian era, when women made beads from wall paper to create room dividers. Now beads are made in Uganda by women's small business enterprises.  Paper beads are made around the world, many artists sell their paper beads in Etsy shops.  You can see some of my beads in my Etsy shop-annemadethis.

Check me out on Facebook and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment