Sunday, May 13, 2012

Paper Bead Workshop

An eighth grade assistant at the Middle School Earth Day Fair

Hi everyone,
The local Middle School Earth Day Fair was held last week.  What fun!  There were many exhibits and displays and I am sure all of us learned a lot about recycling and reusing.

I set part of my table up with paper bead bracelets, earrings and book marks for sale.  The other part was set up for the paper bead workshop.  I also prepared some posters about the history of paper beads and some different ways of making them. As before. I offered a raffle for a Vintage Atlas Bracelet Kit.

The objective was not only to teach the middle schoolers how to make the beads, but also to see that something beautiful out of trash.  The school assigned me three eighth grade assistants to help me teach the other students how to make the beads.  They were fabulous.

  I had pre-cut cardboard and paper triangles for making the beads.  I brought lots of glue, tooth picks, brushes and other supplies for the kids.  Each one made about two beads, then let the glue dry for about ten minutes.  We used styrofoam egg cartons as drying racks.  We skipped the glazing step, their simply wasn't enough drying time.  The next step was to string the beads on a 12" piece of hemp.  We added a couple of large seed beads and then tied it on their wrists.  A very chic bracelet they were all proud of.

So what did I take away from all of this.  You really have to be super prepared for a workshop, especially with children.  Think about everything that can go wrong, it will.  Be sure to bring paper towels and baby wipes.  I would also recommend an adult helper. 


My sisters, niece and I  at Shipley's Choice 5K Walk/Run


So on to a totally different subject.  Here I am with my sisters and my niece getting ready to run or in my case walk my first 5K.  When you are running or even walking; 5k seems like a pretty long way!  I came in third....from the last!  We all had tons of fun, kudos for all of us for trying.  After the run, my mom had a beautiful brunch all ready for us.  A great Sunday!

Please check my etsy site; I am always adding new things.

Until next time,

anne

3 comments:

  1. The event sounds like so much fun. I know the kids must have loved working with you. (P.S. I just love the picture of the four of us at Shipley's!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how big should the paper beads be. Because whenevr I try to make them, thyey turn out flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loud101. Nice to hear from you. The paper beads will vary in size depending on the dimensions and the thickness of your paper you are rolling. Following my directions, your bead should be 3/4" x 1/2". Without seeing the bead, my guess would be that you are using a thin paper, like the thickness of copy paper or scrapbook paper. Try using a light cardboard from a cereal box or other food. You can also glue together two pieces of paper before you cut the triangles, this will give you more thickness and body. Let me know how it works, send me a pic. Thanks for reading my blog, Anne

      Delete